In the overcrowded barrack camps, many forced labourers contracted tuberculosis or typhus. In a school building in Graefestraße, Urban Hospital set up a separate area for forced labourers. Western European, especially French tuberculosis patients, were in Haus A, while Soviet forced labourers were accommodated in Haus B.
Nearly 400 young people died here between 1942 and 1945. In the foreigner’s hospital of the Reich capital in Mahlow, south of Berlin, as many as 1,500 died, especially Eastern European patients.