The last remaining forced labour camp can be found in Schöneweide. Built in 1943, the camp housed mainly Italian forced labourers, but also concentration camp inmates who worked at the Pertrix factory shortly before the end of the war.
In 1993, this “forgotten” camp was rediscovered; its barracks had been used since 1945 by a GDR vaccine institute and other companies and institutions. The Berliner Geschichtswerkstatt, other action groups and individuals engaged to preserve the barracks and set up a place of remembrance. The Nazi Forced Labour Documentation Center was established in 2006 in a section of the barracks. The permanent exhibition “Forced Labour in the Daily Round 1938-1945” about the history of Nazi forced labour has been opened in the former camp barracks since May, 2013.
The collection of the Berliner Geschichtswerkstatt is archived seen in the Documentation Center.