Naturally, without the ”P”

We were allowed to leave the camp …

… and sometimes went to the cinema, but only without the patch “P”.

The Patch “P”

All Polish forced labourers always had to wear a patch with the letter “P” on their clothing.

Lichtburg cinema, built in 1929, was located at Behm Street 9. Józef Przedpełski went to the cinema there a couple of times.

Since Polish forced labourers were not allowed to visit cultural attractions, he had to hide his identity. As with Jews and people from the Soviet Union, they also had to wear a special cloth patch.

More on these Polish Workers Decrees in the tour “Victims and Perpetrators”, stops 1 and 8

Address:

Behmstraße 9
13357 Berlin

Directions:

S/U Gesundbrunnen

Sources:

“We were allowed to leave the Camp …”: Private archive Przedpełski (1-3); Collection of the Berliner Geschichtswerkstatt (4)

“The patch ʻP’”: Interview with Józef Przedpełski, 2004, Collection of the Berliner Geschichtswerkstatt