Inaugurated in 2005, the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe commemorates the six million Jews who were shot, gassed or exterminated through labour.
During the first years of the war, over 20,000 Berliner Jews had to work in labour assignments in segregated groups at munitions factories in Berlin.
For them, forced labour meant a temporary delay of extermination. On February 27, 1943, the day of the Fabrikaktion, the last Jews remaining in Berlin were deported to the extermination camps.
In occupied Eastern Europe, hundreds of thousand of Jews had been used as forced labourers in ghettos and labour camps.
In the final year of the war the SS assigned many Jewish concentration camp inmates who were suitable for work to jobs in the Reich armaments industry, among them the Berlin subcamps in
Neukölln, Reinickendorf or Haselhorst.
More on forced labour of Berliner Jews in the tour ”Forced Labour was Everywhere”, stop 10